Friday, March 16, 2007

So, Ms. Wilson, what do you do for a living?

Well, well . . . it turns out that Valerie Plame Wilson was telling the truth when she said that she was a convert CIA officer. This, after years of hearing from Republicans and their right-wing media sycophants that Ms. Wilson had overstated her job status within the CIA.

"While I helped to manage and run secret worldwide operations against this WMD target from CIA headquarters in Washington, I also traveled to foreign countries on secret missions to find vital intelligence.I loved my career, because I love my country. I was proud of the serious responsibilities entrusted to me as a CIA covert operations officer. And I was dedicated to this work.It was not common knowledge on the Georgetown cocktail circuit that everyone knew where I worked. But all of my efforts on behalf of the national security of the United States, all of my training, all the value of my years of service, were abruptly ended when my name and identity were exposed irresponsibly."

Wilson's testimony before Representative Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.) this morning revealed a number of interesting facts:

1. Ms. Wilson was a covert CIA officer. Even her boss, an appointee of President Bush, said so.
2. Ms. Wilson did not send her husband, Joe Wilson, to Niger to investigate the veracity of the Iraq-Niger "yellowcake" uranium connection.
3. The decision of White House officials -- most notably Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and Scooter Libby -- to discredit her husband by exposing her covert status was revenge-driven, petty and unprecedented in the annals of American national security. Wilson said she could not recall if another administration had ever leaked the name of an American covert CIA officer.
4. The White House officials involved in this matter, as well as Richard Armitage at State, have no regret about their actions.

See the hearings here.

Remember when the Decider said he was going to get to bottom of the Wilson leak? Almost four years later, has the White House ever investigated this breach of national security?

Nope.

Remember what George Bush I said
about persons who leak classified information to the press, especially the names of covert CIA agents (don't forget that Langley headquarters are named for Senior, who served as CIA director during the 1970s): "I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who expose the names of our sources. They are, in my view, the most insidious of traitors."

Oops.

I'm listening to Tom Davis (R-Va.), who represents Northern Virginia suburbs right outside D.C., question Valerie Wilson. His line of interrogation is really pathetic . . . did anyone in the CIA reveal your identity? Did the CIA do enough to protect you? Did the White House officials have any way of knowing your status? Blah, blah, blah. His questions have no relationship to the gravity of the White House's behavior . . . he's trying to split hairs on the federal statutes that could punish persons who revealed her identity . . . he's trying to minimize the damage done to her career by pointing out that she could still move from a GS-14, step 6, position to a GS-15.

Pathetic.

This is a bad week for Bush apologists. I don't see how they can spin their way out of today's hearings, the coming shit-storm over Gonzales and God knows what else.


No comments: