Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Favorite jazz drummers

When I watch a very close hockey or baseball game on television, I get real nervous. Last night, the Washington Capitals gave the Philadelphia Flyers all they could handle in a fantastic and fitting end to the most exciting first-round match-up in the NHL playoffs, losing in overtime 3-2. No point in complaining about the mysterious goaltender interference non-call that gave Philadelphia its second goal. And no point in complaining about the referee's tripping call against Tom Poti in overtime that gave the Flyers a power play, which they converted just before the penalty expired. That call was legitimate, especially since the referees let one go against John Erskine on Sami Kapanen just a few minutes before. Great series by two gutsy teams playing two very different brands of hockey.

Sometimes I'll sweep, vacuum or clean to calm my nerves. Other times I'll clean up various CDs that have not made their way back into my cabinet. Last night I decided on CDs, having swept, vacuumed and cleaned the night before when the Capitals came back to defeat the Flyers 4-2, scoring four consecutive goals to come back from a 2-0 deficit. So . . . I thought about my five favorite drummers throughout jazz history. Mind you, this is not a "five best" list; just my personal favorites, which I define as the people I've tried to copy the most. And I put them in alphabetical order to avoid any internal conflict.

And because I'm a wimp, I've listed two sets of five. The first five are the "Founding Fathers" of jazz drumming; the second five consist of post-Founding period drummers.

See . . . constitutional law and jazz do mix.

Founders

1. Art Blakey
2. Roy Haynes
3. Elvin Jones
4. Max Roach
5. Tony Williams

Post-Founding


1. Jack DeJohnette
2. Al Foster
3. Billy Kilson
4. Bill Stewart
5. Jeff Watts

No comments: