Thursday, April 24, 2008

Favorite non-jazz drummers

Yesterday, I listed my favorite jazz drummers from what I call the Founding and Post-Founding Period. Having grown up on pop, rock and fusion, I have plenty of influences there as well.

By the way, an "influence" is a polite term from a person you try to copy without success.

I'm going to list ten rather than two sets of five because drumming beyond straight-ahead jazz offers more choices; and, in my view, there is nothing as discernible as a Founding and Post-Founding Period. Again, these are in alphabetical order, not order of preference.

1. John Bonham
2. Bill Bruford
3. Dennis Chambers
4. Phil Collins
5. Stewart Copeland
6. Steve Gadd
7. Rod Morgenstein
8. Steve Smith
9. Ringo Starr
10. Dave Weckl

2 comments:

Conor said...

No John Bonham? I'm not angry, just hurt.

tres_arboles said...

Saw Bruford with King Crimson at Oberlin when I was Frosh in 1981. REM was the opening band. (Given all that has transpired in music since, I still find that interesting!). Copeland might well be the most (multi-)talented in the group. His movie scores are pretty damn good.

David, Seattle

Oh, and FLYERS RULE!