Thursday, June 26, 2008

Kiss, kiss! Bang, bang!

So was one villain's description of James Bond's life and career . . . Mr. Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang! And so it is for the United States Supreme Court's decision today in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), which affirmed a lower court ruling that invalidated the D.C. government's law banning handguns. Justice Scalia wrote the Court's opinion. No other justice concurred.  The decision was 5-4, with Kennedy joining Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito.

The upshot of the opinion is this: the D.C. law is unconstitutional; the Court's opinion suggests the holding applies to the states, which means that the justices have now officially incorporated the Second Amendment into the Fourteenth Amendment to make it applicable to state and local gun laws.

More comment later. Read the opinion here.

1 comment:

Luke said...

Yay,

I can now go out and purchase a Handgun in DC for personal protection . As long as I have the necessary permits for it I could even carry it on me. I love exercising my right to the 2nd Amendment! I am glad the Supreme Court ruled this way. I am also glad of the way they have ruled many other cases --allowing me to have a true freedom of speech. I was on the airplane going home to FL and I was explaining to my brother on the cell phone how I was "Fucked over by the airline industry today." This old man in front of me turned around and said "Sonny, watch your language." In that very moment I was about a second away from saying "I will have you know that the Supreme Court has roundly rejected Prior Restraint." But, I held my tongue and thought of how I was letting this old man infringe upon my constitutional liberties...Thanks Professor Ivers !