Monday, September 12, 2011

A professor, a rabbi and a priest walk into a bar

Not really. I just didn't know where else to start.

So, what's it been . . . a year? Two? But so much has happened in the time since I last wrote on a regular basis that I felt it was time to get back to it. And, no, my return was never intended to coincide with Stephen Strasburg's comeback from Tommy John surgery. But, in some ways, taking a break from regular writing, even if you enjoy writing -- not that it's always evident -- as much as I do, is a good thing. Unless you are absolutely superhuman and/or uber-gifted, you eventually get burned out, just like you do doing anything too much, no matter how much you love it. As much I might like to think I walked away on top like the great Sandy Koufax, another left-handed Jewish pitcher of note, there was no top to walk away from. A comparison to Tommy John is more appropriate: my brain just gave out and needed some rest. No, I haven't taken a ligament from my thigh or abdomen and grafted it into my brain, although that might not be a bad idea. A little rest, plus the temptation of the absurdities, hypocrisies, idiocies and inexplicably stupid acts that occur in the world -- and incredibly close to home, literally -- on an almost-hourly basis, make it a good time to start pissing people off again.

My "schedule," such as it is, will be the same as before. Monday will feature the cartoon, Tom Tomorrow and links to another political cartoons of note; I'll write commentary on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays on the range of topics you see up top. Thursdays will feature music recommendations. I'd say albums, but no one knows what those are any more. Even suggesting that "you listen to the CD by The Band Featuring A Cover Of Three Skinny Guys and One Fat Guy Wearing Ironic T-Shirt Nursing Their Coffee While Staring Out a Diner Window" might be a risk, since not many people, as I know from personal experience, buy CDs anymore.

There you go. First pitch comes tomorrow. It will not be nationally televised. And it definitely won't feature Toby Keith singing during the 7th inning stretch with an American flag superimposed in the background.

No comments: